[Lazarus] Debug builds only work as root

Anthony Walter sysrpl at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 01:53:17 CEST 2013

I have been trying Ubuntu 13.10 this weekend and I'm hoping someone can
advice on a Lazarus issue I'm experiencing.

This version of Ubuntu come with gdb 7.6.1.
When using Lazarus and debugging the compiled program frequently locks up.
Launching Lazarus with sudo or gksudo (in a launcher) fixes the problem.
All files modified by Lazarus with sudo are owned by root and I have to
keep 'chown -R myusername .' whenever I want to using thse files outside of
Lazarus.

So the question is, how can I either downgrade gdb to a version which works
nicely with Lazarus and not hose the rest of my system?

Or how can I fix Lazarus to not lockup programs which are run with
debugging?