[Lazarus] source editor: block commands don't work in Trunk v1.3

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Tue Oct 1 12:00:16 CEST 2013

On 01/10/2013 10:34, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using Lazarus 1.3 r42869 FPC 2.6.2 i386-win32-win32/win64 and tried
> to do the same thing that is possible with EditPad Pro. "Duplicate text
> as you type" [http://www.editpadpro.com/trickduplicate.html]. This is
> actually a very handy productivity tip.
>
> I tried this in Lazarus but it didn't work. I thought it was maybe the 2
> stage keyboard shortcuts that are causing a problem. eg: Ctrl+K,B
The reason why this does not work in Lazarus is, because, after k-b you
ace at the begin of block.

Apparently editpad handles that as inside the block, but lazarus handles
this as outside the block. So typing does move the block begin.

You can see that, if you first set a block-end, somewhere further on in
the text, so that there will be a visible block, when you do k-b

> So I updated my keyboard shortcuts and added secondary shortcuts
> matching what EditPad Pro has. Ctrl+Shift+B for Begin Block,
> Ctrl+Shift+E for End Block, and Ctrl+D for Duplicate Block. I made sure
> I have no shortcut conflicts.
>
> The editor commands I modified are:
>
>    - set block begin
>    - set block end
>    - copy block
>
> Still, the blocking commands don't seem to work in Lazarus IDE. So have
> these blocking commands maybe been broken for some time and nobody noticed?

They only work, if you enable "persistent selection" in the general
editor options.