[Lazarus] Graeme would love this, or not, I think

Jürgen Hestermann juergen.hestermann at gmx.de
Sat Oct 12 14:26:46 CEST 2013

Am 2013-10-12 13:36, schrieb Marco van de Voort:
 > One could argue about language, but Delphi as RAD-IDE is definitely not a good
 > choice. Students tend to overfocus on embellishing forms etc, and not spending
 > their time on the more problem-solving oriented assignment.
 > Probably because dolling up the UI is easier and gives
 > instant-gratification.

Yes, that's true.
But as always when learning the best motivation is rapid success.
And learning without beeing able to make use of it is not useful.
So a developement envrionment that lets you create a GUI program quickly is neccessary IMO.
Although the language is only one part (libraries and IDE are nearly as important)
it is still usefull to choose a clear and easy to learn language so I also would
recommend to use Pascal at School (and of course in "real life" too if possible).

The question is: Why *not* use Pascal?
There maybe constraints that forces you to use another language later on
but at School this is not the case (in general).
And pupils should know how easy and clear a fast programming can be
to judge all other awkward or slow languages so they *need* to know Pascal.