[Lazarus] Graeme would love this, or not, I think

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sun Oct 20 11:46:08 CEST 2013

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 12:25:25AM +0200, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> For writing programs you need some editor and an compiler/linker, e.g. a
> Lazarus IDE which runs on a variety of systems. Then students can learn
> how to use a console (window) for program I/O in about 1 hour,
> sufficient for the following introduction and practice in "The Art of
> Computer Programming" [Knuth].

Either your students were different, or that is very optimistic :)

In this class, all this simply ate too much time, and even after students
were ackward with it. And it was only 9 x 1.5 hr, then an hour is still too
much.

> Creating and using a GUI can become a
> detached course, covering both the general GUI design principles and how
> to master event driven applications.

My point was that TP was too alien, and the tricks to keep it running
prevented it for students to run it on their own laptop.

Delphi on the other hand invited too much play.

The ideal usage IMHO would be a stripped lazarus/Delphi without designer,
and some skeleton application under "new" that instantiates a skeleton GUI
app (delivered in .ppu), and the students can use procedures from their
programs to use the skeleton units.