[Lazarus] Project Group support in the IDE

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Sat Sep 14 10:26:26 CEST 2013

On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 05:24:21 +0200
Marc Santhoff <M.Santhoff at web.de> wrote:

> On Fr, 2013-09-13 at 14:11 +0200, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> > > Thanks for the info.

> > > Yup, that's all I want for Project Groups. Being able to quickly switch
> > > between related projects, do a "build all projects in group" [great for
> > > release day], re-order projects in the group, and do a "build projects
> > > from here".
> > >
> > > All my projects tend to consist of 4+ executables, and the project I
> > > work the most on consists of 10+ executables. Doing manual building of
> > > projects one-by-one is so labour intensive - hence I have many build
> > > scripts. Maintaining those build scripts is a pain too.
> >
> > Same here.
> >
> > At least, having this window would be a very good start.
> > The advanced features could follow later.
>
> Curiously asked: could a package and lazbuild be used for this task?

lazbuild can compile a project, but error messages might be
misunderstood by the IDE.

> I don't know if packages can handle bulding executables.

Yes.
But packages lack some features, so you have to do more manual work.

> Maybe it would
> be easy to extend it doing a lot less work than having to write a GUI
> and lazarus extension for it.

That would only work if all projects use the same settings for all
packages.

> If I'm doing releases having to start lazarus, finding and opening the
> project, setting some config values, would all be far to many actions. I
> really prefer using makefiles or something similar. Using lazbuild would
> have the advnatage of being able to have the makefiles holding anything
> needed (compiler switches, etc.) generated.

AFAIK project groups is mostly a GUI feature. Compiling a bunch of
projects with lazbuild works since years.

Mattias