[Lazarus] Project Group support in the IDE

Marc Santhoff M.Santhoff at web.de
Sat Sep 14 18:54:22 CEST 2013

On Sa, 2013-09-14 at 13:19 +0100, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 2013-09-14 04:24, Marc Santhoff wrote:
> > If I'm doing releases having to start lazarus, finding and opening the
> > project, setting some config values, would all be far to many actions. I
> > really prefer using makefiles or something similar.
>
> To be honest... I find the Lazarus way of doing things - especially for
> switching between debug and release builds pretty horrific. What I do is
> use Lazarus for development (mostly) - thus debug builds. I then switch
> to MSEide to do release builds. MSEide allows switching build modes much
> easier, and guarantees that ALL units (including external frameworks,
> components etc) involved in the project share the same compiler settings.
>
> At the moment I'm not so concerned about release builds, but rather to
> speed up the way I work with parts of a large project.

Can you please explain to a person never having used any Delphi with
version numbers above 3 what exactly those project groups are doing?
Meanwhile I think I totally misunderstood your target.

Can project groups build multiple projects all having their own compiler
settings?

And why would you want to recompile all project when not doing a
release, do you want to force the dependency packages to be rebuilt or
what else?

--
Marc Santhoff <M.Santhoff at web.de>