[Lazarus] Project Group support in the IDE

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk
Sat Sep 14 20:05:09 CEST 2013

On 2013-09-14 17:54, Marc Santhoff wrote:

> Can you please explain to a person never having used any Delphi with
> version numbers above 3 what exactly those project groups are doing?

Sven pretty much answered all you asked.

Project Groups are very useful and very often used in the Delphi IDE
environment. eg: Say you are building a simple 3-tier application. You
will at least need a Client project and the Application Server project.
You will often switch between these two... eg:  You need some
functionality in your client, but before you can code it, the
Application Server project needs to be extended so you can query and
retrieve the correct data.

Another example... more in line with the project I am currently working
on. I would like a project group for my client, because the single
project consists of about 8 sub-projects. A Admin program, Setup
Program, Custom Installer, Application Server, Thin Client program and 4
CGI applications. Together they make up the one project - switching
between them is currently a real pain, and time consuming with Lazarus IDE.

The "Project Group" window in Delphi has many context sensitive popup
menu options. Things like "Build All Projects in Group", Re-order
projects, "Build All From Here", "Add existing project to group", "Add
new project to group" etc etc.

> Can project groups build multiple projects all having their own compiler
> settings?

Yes.

> And why would you want to recompile all project when not doing a
> release,

One common reason is: You could have had shared units between all
projects in the group. The shared unit changed, so you need to rebuild
all the projects to use the latest code.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/