[Lazarus] Can Lazarus IDE debugger attach to already running process?

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Thu Sep 19 10:07:49 CEST 2013

On 09/19/2013 09:35 AM, Martin wrote:

> Does gdb suppor asyncronous mode for this target?
I don't know.
We tried to attach to gdbserver via TCP/IP.

> e.g can you
>
>  gdb -i mi
>
> -exec-continue &

I did not do this myself, but a pal of mine from the German Lazarus
forum did these tests. So I can't comment.

In fact I preferred to try to make working to have Lazarus remotely
attach to a "full" gdb on the target via SSH. (When I last looked at it
there ware some disabled lines of code for this in the Lazarus sources.

> and while running
> interrupt
> ?

AFAIK, gdbserver does not support interrupting a running program. That
is one of the causes why I prefer the SSH way of remote debugging. The
other is that for all targets you can easily get a native gdb out of the
box, while it might be rather tedious to install all the tools to create
the appropriate gdbserver on the target and the cross-gdb executable on
the PC you need to attach to it.

> You can always send me a log file.
Thanks a lot. I'll try to re-open the dialog with my pal from the German
forum...

> Also check, please: on my tests, to run gdb asyncrounus in a
> gdbserver, the -exec-run (or r) command was NOT used (would not work)
> but -exec-continue was used.
>
> Is that the case for your target too?

The target (both for me and my pal) is a gui-less NAT by QNAP.

I was able to (on a Linux PC) build a native fpc compiler for that
target and use it there to compile a (in fact productive) program I
before developed and tested on a Linux PC.

My pal was able to create a cross-fpc for that target and he said same
was able to compile a testing program that ion fact did run on the target.

-Michael