[Lazarus] GLUT vs windows 64 bits

Anthony Tekatch anthony at unihedron.com
Mon Apr 14 23:07:43 CEST 2014

On Thu, 10 Apr 2014 19:45:55 +0200, Reimar Grabowski <reimgrab at web.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Apr 2014 13:43:56 -0300
> Philippe <philippe at quarta.com.br> wrote:
>
> > I made an application with GLUT.
> Don't. Just do not use GLUT in any way or shape.
> It is very, very old. AFAIR the latest pre-compiled binary
> distributions were for Windows 95 and NT. Of course there is no
> official Windows 64 support as GLUT is dead and rotten. Use
> OpenGLControl for context managment in Lazarus and get rid of GLUT. If
> you absolutely must use GLUT (although I cannot think of any viable
> reason) use freeglut as it is at least maintained.

I am a bit confused now. This page seems to use GLUT for many examples:
  http://wiki.freepascal.org/OpenGL_Tutorial
is it out of date?

I would like to easily draw shapes like a torus/sphere/cone etc., and also
put some rotatable text in a 3D image for a Lazarus project on a
Windows/Mac/Linux systems. This seems to be easily done with GLUT, but
will require the installation of a glut32.dll or a freeglut dll file, is
that true?

Looking forward to your recommendations.