[Lazarus] Wanted: OpenGL gui framework supporting Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, etc.

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Thu Apr 24 12:18:26 CEST 2014

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

> J S schrieb:
>>   It would be great to have an OpenGL gui framework for Lazarus. I see the
>> TOpenGLControl, but would like something more ambitious.
> [...]
>> To be sure, this OpenGL framework would probably require its own OpenGL
>> specific custom controls and wouldn't support TForm and most of the current
>> windowed controls.
>
> I don't see how and why somebody would use such a framework, as long as no
> component library (like LCL) is implemented for it. Using the LCL requires
> that the components are of the basic types (TComponent, TControl,
> TCustomForm...).

This is not a correct answer. Having the full LCL with all it's needs doesn't make sense on all platforms.

Think web-browser for example.
The iOS controls by Joost Van der Sluis for example, work like this.
So there are use-case.

Firemonkey started out like this as a Lazarus project.

The OP may check out the iOS controls by Joost van der sluis and use it as inspiration.

Michael.