[Lazarus] FPC 2.7.1 and console output

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Tue Dec 2 11:21:43 CET 2014

First I thank the Lazarus team for the fine 1.3 version, usable for
development with FPC trunk (Unicode version). In detail the greyed-out
branches in conditional compilation sections are very helpful when
inspecting the RTL units :-)

On my first steps with the Unicode RTL I found a different behaviour,
when a console program is compiled from an PAS file, and from an LPI/LPR
project. [on WinXP, Ansi source files]

When compiled from an PAS file, the behaviour is identical to the direct
compilation on the commandline, string output is readable.

When compiled from an LPR file (LPI project), the string output has
unreadable UTF-8 encoding, even for UnicodeString. Did I miss some
project setting, required for proper console output?

When I try {$codepage 1252}, I get an error during compilation ("file
not open")? The "charset" unit, mentioned in help on $codepage, doesn't
give any clues about allowed values. What's the correct value for
Windows default (western)? Or how else can I establish a global default
sourcecode codepage?

DoDi