[Lazarus] Lazarus Digest, Vol 83, Issue 33

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum engelbert_buxbaum at web.de
Wed Dec 17 05:04:32 CET 2014

> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 09:59:25 +0100
> From: Mattias Gaertner <nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de>
> Subject: Re: [Lazarus] virus in lazarus-1.2.6-fpc-2.6.4-win32.exe?

> I guess Avast.

> Here is a scan report from 20th Oct:

> Scan report of: 134052-lazarus-1.2.6-fpc-2.6.4-win32.exe

> Ahnlab  -
> Avast   -
> AVG     -
> Avira   -
> Bitdefender     -
> Command       -
> Command (Online)        -
> Eset Nod32      ERROR
> Fortinet        -
> F-Prot  -
> G Data  -
> Ikarus  -
> K7 Computing    -
> Kaspersky       -
> Kaspersky (Online)      -
> McAfee  -
> McAfee (BETA)   -
> McAfee (Online)       -
> McAfee GW Edition (Online)      -
> Microsoft       -
> Norman  -
> Panda   -
> Panda (Online)  -
> QuickHeal       -
> Rising  -
> Rising (Online)       -
> Sophos  -
> Sophos (Online)       -
> Symantec        -
> Symantec (BETA)       -
> ThreatTrack     -
> Total Defense   -
> Trend Micro     -
> Trend Micro (Cons.)     -
> Trend Micro (CPR)       -
> VBA32   -
> VirusBuster     -

> Message: 5
> Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 10:08:19 +0100
> From: Frederic Da Vitoria <davitofrg at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Lazarus] virus in lazarus-1.2.6-fpc-2.6.4-win32.exe?
> Do you mean the IDE lazarus.exe file or an executable compiled by
> Lazarus/fpc? When did the Avast message appear? When you installed
> /upgraded Lazarus or after Avast upgraded it's virus database (which
> happens quite frequently IIRC)?

>From: Frederic Da Vitoria <davitofrg at gmail.com>

> Yes, that's the price to pay for heuristics and less-than-exact virus
> signature determination.

> This is usually what I do when my AVG tells it has found a virus: I check
> on VirusTotal and if VirusTotal leads me to believe it is a false positive,
> I send a message to AVG asking them to check. I don't know about Avast, but
> with AVG a get an answer in a few days, and usually the answer is that it
> was indeed a false positive and that they upgraded their signature files.
> It seems Avast has a similar procedure:
> send false positives to them.

Hi,

thanks  for  the  replies.  Yes,  I guessed right away that this was a
false   positive,  just  wanted  to be sure. The warning came after an
update of Avast, which also points in this direction. I tried to report to Avast
(thanks for the link), but their site seems to be down. Will try again
later.

Sincerely

Engelbert