[Lazarus] Only VCL-compatible components in LCL

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 15:42:24 CET 2014

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 11:29 PM, Michael Fuchs <freepascal at ypa-software.de
> It is not a problem for me, to publish this component outside the LCL. I
> was just surprised, that the development of the LCL has such a strong
> dependency to the VCL. I understand, that the LCL should have at least
> all the components of the VCL for compatibility reasons. But what is the
> problem with new components?
>
> No offense, just curiosity.

I think that the problem is that imagine you are a beginner using a
library and this library has 5 comboboxes, 7 buttons, 3 different open
dialogs .... its just bad design. A library needs only 1 control for
each functionality. 1 more is bloat... small is beaultiful is a good
design guideline =)

If the functionality is really something useful for most programmers
we have no trouble adding things that the VCL doesnt cover. We added
TTrayIcon before the VCL for example.

The lazarus-ccr is the place were other lcl-based controls can be
placed, we have there SVN, place for hosting releases, etc.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho