[Lazarus] Only VCL-compatible components in LCL

Dmitry Boyarintsev skalogryz.lists at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 23:05:54 CET 2014

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 4:13 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys <
mailinglists at geldenhuys.co.uk> wrote:

> Why would it be widgetset specific? Isn't LCL cross-platform any more?
> If you implement a new GUI component using LCL, surely it should work on
> all platforms?  That is how fpGUI Toolkit works, and the developer never
> needs to worry about that.

I presume there's a difference between LCL and fpGUI.
LCL is based on system native controls in the first place, actually a
widgetset. fpGUI is custom-drawn.

Thus the base set of LCL controls, should be limited to a small set of
system native controls.
fpGUI or MSE doesn't have this limitation.

Adding a really cross-platform control (that's not based on a native
control, but only LCL level APIs) is always questionable, since it
increases the size of the library. And it might be better to make it a 3d
party component.

Even components that are based on native controls are not part of LCL. I.e.
OpenGLContext - is a separate package or Printers4Lazarus.

thanks,
Dmitry