[Lazarus] Lazarus Configuration

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Mon Dec 22 23:48:16 CET 2014

On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 10:19:26 -0600
J S <jtm_1986 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have two lazarus installations.
>
> I have been having problems compiling the svn branch lately, and this has caused me to examine further how lazarus determines which compiler installation to use.
>
> My setup is this:
>
> 1) I start with a clean svn directory. "Clean" means that I purged all generated *.ppu, *.o, etc. and reverted all changes to the .po files (why the .po files are included in the svn and change upon building is another topic altogether)

This must not happen with a release.
This should not happen with trunk, but sometimes someone forgets to
commit files.
So, in both cases: bug.

> 2) I have a separate binutils directory, with ar.exe, as.exe, cp.exe, make.exe, etc. -- about 32 files in all (no fpc.exe here)

For cross compile?

> 3) I set my path to include only the binutils and the compiler directory (e.g. PATH=C:\FPCBinutils;C:\FPC_2.6.4\bin\i386-win32)
> 4) I build lazbuild by running "make lazbuild"
> 5) I build lazarus by running "make bigide"
>
> My expectation was that only the 2.6.4 compiler would be used in building lazarus.

The "make bigide" contains the "make lazbuild".
The "make bigide" uses the command line compiler. So, yes, this should
work. Unless you set some environment variables like PP.

> I was wrong.

Do you mean the above "make" commands use another compiler?

> In my cursory examination, it appears that lazarus looks in a hardwired directory for configuration information. If this is true, it seems very, very wrong to me. My expectation was that there would be a configuration file for lazarus in the current search path that would guide its compilation.
>
> It seems that I should be able to change configurations (e.g. laz_svn/fpc_2.6.4, laz_svn/fpc_2.7.1, laz_1.2.6/fpc_2.6.4, etc.) simply by changing the search path (and subsequently the configuration file found on that search path).

Mattias