[Lazarus] Threads and Libraries (dll and so)

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Tue Feb 4 11:21:15 CET 2014

On 02/04/2014 11:12 AM, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> It kind of defeats the purpose, as it suggests that only 1 thread at a
> time can access the display.
Of course concentrating the GUI stuff to a single thread makes things a
lot easier to handle.

But I already did explain the purpose I (once) had in mind with this:

If you have multiple very actively automatically updated GUI elements it
does make sense to allow "rendering" same using multiple processors of a
modern multicore system. An easy way (for the user, provided the LCL- /
RTL- / WidgetSet- infrastructure would support this) is assigning a
thread to each of them. Here the rendering could be done in true
parallel manner up to the point that X needs to file the updates to the
hardware.

-Michael