[Lazarus] Threads and Libraries (dll and so)

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue Feb 4 15:59:07 CET 2014

On Tue, 4 Feb 2014, Reimar Grabowski wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Feb 2014 14:40:21 +0100 (CET)
> Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:
>
>> The GUI is for use by humans. That means that there is no point whatsoever
>> in updating the GUI more than 10 times per second: the human eye cannot
>> process information faster than that, let alone that the brain can grasp
>> the *meaning* of what the eye has seen in such a short time.
> <snip>
>
>> if I play a video at full HD, 1 thread handles the screen display. It works just fine,
>
> Combining these two statements sounds like you are running your video at 10 frames per second, which you hopefully don't do.

No, obviously not.

> And I am very interested where you got the limitations for the human eye from. Knowing a thing or two about animation I have heard quite different values.

Traditional Film uses 24 FPS, this was considered twice the speed of what was/is
needed to experience motion 'fluently'.

The human eye can *discern* changes at faster rates, meaning it will
recognize the difference between a film played at 30 and 60, the latter
being perceived as more 'smooth'.

But this does not enable you to process the *information* displayed at such a speed.

using a practical example:
Let me display random numbers at speed > 10 FPS on screen.
Will you be able to repeat the numbers ? I doubt it.

You may want to watch "Fight Club", where this is demonstrated in a cinema ;)

Michael.