[Lazarus] Threads and Libraries (dll and so)

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Tue Feb 4 16:02:00 CET 2014

Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Feb 2014, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> But complicated information like statistics or information of 20 cameras,
> needs time to be processed by the brain in order to react on it. There
> is therefor no need to have it refreshed in intervals that the brain
> cannot discern anyway. What could possibly be achieved with displaying
> information of 20 cameras at 60 FPS ? Nothing, unless you want to brag
> about your hardware.

I'm afraid that's... highly questionable. The more video streams (etc.)
that are visible the smoother you want the overall presentation to be:
the human brain is /very/ sensitive to small timing differences. In
addition, there are standards for e.g. flashing indicators in
safety-critical applications which are specified with much finer
resolution than 100 mSec.

So a 10Hz update is totally out of the question these days: 100Hz would
be more realistic.

But I still don't entirely agree with MichaelS: just because something
is highly desirable doesn't mean it's attainable, and some sort of
double-buffering would probably be a good compromise.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk