[Lazarus] Threads and Libraries (dll and so)

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Thu Feb 6 12:19:22 CET 2014

On 02/06/2014 11:54 AM, Reimar Grabowski wrote:

> You see that as shortcomings. Most others (even widgetset developers) see thread-safe GUIs as nonsense without real benefit, else they would be available.
> I think we can agreee to disagree.
This is a funny opinion indeed.

  - we did a project in a standard (single-threaded GUI) way
  - with enhanced demand of the customers this did not work decently
(GUI getting sluggish)
  - we found that using a multi-threaded GUI would solve the problem
  - we found that this is not possible due to shortcomings of the
underlying system
  - we did a redesign with multiple applications and found that this
does work fine on exactly the same hardware
  - it was a huge overhead regarding the software design, the effort to
transfer data between the multiple applications, and RAM demand
  - hence it is obviously a shortcoming that might be solved by the
designers of the infrastructure system
  - I agree that this is only relevant in a rather small range of
applications. But this does not deny that it is a shortcoming
nonetheless, as solving it would not impose any disadvantages for anyone.

-Michael