[Lazarus] Using different FPC versions

patspiper patspiper at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 17:51:24 CET 2014

On 10/02/14 18:11, Mattias Gaertner wrote:

>> patspiper <patspiper at gmail.com> hat am 10. Februar 2014 um 16:18 geschrieben:

>>> Why do you need that?
>> By default, all bundled lazarus packages are compiled and placed in the
>> units folder (located in the top level lazarus folder).
> If you mean with 'the top level lazarus folder' the folder
> "lazarus/units/cpu-os":
> That are only the ppu/o/lfm files of the IDE.
> All packages have their own output directories, which are always sub directories
> of the corresponding package directory. Example: package IDEIntf is in
> lazarus/components/ideintf and uses the output directory
> "lazarus/components/ideintf/units/x86_64-linux".

Now that I checked again, you are right. The only difference is that by
default the folder(s) name is units, whereas if I force lib/... (as is
the default for new packages and projects), then the folder(s) name is
lib. A subtle but acceptable difference.

Why is the default name 'units' when building Lazarus and not lib?

>> However, specifying an override will create object folders everywhere.
> "everywhere" sounds as if the IDE creates folders wildly at unexpected places.
> That is not the case.
>
> If you specify an override like 'lib' the package IDEIntf would use
> lazarus/components/ideintf/lib. So the created folder will only have a different
> name and sub dirs, but the same location.
>
> You can specify an override like '/home/user/units/$(pkgname)'. In that case all
> created files will go outside the package directory. All in one location.

I used 'wildly' as opposed to a single folder. Now that I realised what
you said, the same folders are no more wild :)

Stephano