[Lazarus] Using different FPC versions

patspiper patspiper at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 18:01:28 CET 2014

On 10/02/14 18:21, Mattias Gaertner wrote:

>>> - Use a script (with an fpc version variable) that includes in the
>>> environment PATH the bin folder (where fpc is) and the compiler folder
>>> (where
>>> ppcx64 is) to launch the Lazarus IDE.
>> I don't see why you would need this.
> Normally you can simply switch the compiler in the environment options.
> But this shares tools like fpcres, which you might not want.
>

>> [...]
>>> Overrides do not solve this particular issue.
>> As far as I understand it after Mattias' example, it would.
> You can not (yet) override environment variables like PATH when invoking FPC.
> Once this is implemented, it can be done by "additions and overrides" too.

Although it is a welcome feature, it will make the usage really
complicated considering build modes might cater for debug/release, FPC
version, win/linux, etc...

I instead propose to have a field next to the compiler path in the IDE
options that accepts fpc's -Xp parameter. Xp allows one to specify the
relative folder of the actual compiler (ppcxxx) with respect to the fpc
executable. That would work well since each ppcxxx's location is fixed
with respect to its associated fpc executable.

Stephano