[Lazarus] Beyond Compare 4 built with Lazarus 1.2

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 3 22:37:57 CET 2014

On 03.01.2014 20:53, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 2014-01-02 00:06, Marco van de Voort wrote:
>>
>> Why that? Why not simply a variable length string?
>
> Because I was under the impression a ShortString (eg: String[4]
> declaration) is faster than AnsiString, and lighter on resources.

This might bite you with 2.7.1 as ShortString is considered as being
encoded in CP_ACP. Thus on systems were the system code page is not
UTF-8, but the values are UTF-8 characters this might lead to unexpected
conversions if you assign to an UTF8String or UnicodeString, because the
compiler will insert a conversion from CP_ACP to
UTF8String/UnicodeString which will convert your UTF8 character to
something completely different.

Regards,
Sven