[Lazarus] Lazarus Second Release Candidate, 1.2RC2

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Thu Jan 16 15:41:42 CET 2014

On 16/01/2014 06:45, Jürgen Hestermann wrote:

> Am 2014-01-15 23:40, schrieb William Oliveira Ferreira:
>> I think is much better change the default behavior to generate a
>> external debug file but i don't know if it has any consequence...
>>

> Definitely!
> I also wondered why this is *not* the default.
> What are the reasons?

Don't know.. Probably "Never touch a working system". The debugger has
enough issues as it is.

Changing this would need to be tested on many versions, of many OS (and
for some many Distributions), with many versions of gdb, and linkers
involved. (Not to mention at least 2 released fpc fixes and trunk.) That
is a lot of work.
Well ok, we could just put it out there, and wait for reports.

Then IMHO, it is not just changing it. At the very least, the IDE must
clean up the dbg file, if the exe is rebuild (without dbg info)

Also it needs te be changed in many places (lazbuild, makefiles...).  I
tried to make dwarf default, a some ,time ago. I reverted, because it it
turned out to need more and yet even more changes.