[Lazarus] Lazarus without FPC plain bin dir in path: resource compiler "fpcres" not found - best solution?

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 24 15:01:20 CET 2014

Am 24.01.2014 13:43, schrieb Reinier Olislagers:
> On 24/01/2014 13:35, Sven Barth wrote:
>> Am 24.01.2014 13:27, schrieb Reinier Olislagers:
>>> On 24/01/2014 13:25, Sven Barth wrote:
>>> Thanks for the quick reply, Sven!

>>> Yes, 2.6.x but not trunk (with make install from source). See also
>>> Jonas' reply here:
>>> http://www.mail-archive.com/fpc-pascal@lists.freepascal.org/msg35672.html
>> Then the bug is that "fpc" is not in the "bin" directory and that's what
>> Jonas meant.
> Interesting...
Maybe I should have written "and that's what Jonas would have said if
he'd known the "big picture" like I do now" ^^
>> The normal installation structure on *nix systems is this:
> Thanks.
> I suppose I'll have to do a regular manual install (fpcup cheats by
> installing in the same tree as the svn sources which is not supported, I
> know) and see what goes where.
It *should* normally work as the set of directories created by "install"
([bin, lib, usr, share] on *nix, [bin, msg, units] on Windows) are
distinct from the source directories.
> I'd either have to
> - rework fpcup so it exports the sources to a different dir which is IMO
> overkill if you want to have a couple of fpc versions
You should be able to export into the same directory as long as the
common tools are those of the younger version. Otherwise you could for
example not use "fpc -Pjvm ..." if your "fpc" binary is a 2.6.2 one. But
a 2.7.1 fpc will happily drive a 2.6.2 ppcX binary ;)
> - do something else. I'm now thinking of just symlinking from the arch
> dir to the plain bin dir... but I think I'd better sleep over it (a bit
> too tired of messing with compiler flags, build tests etc).
Since the best ideas normally come either when sleeping, riding a bike
or taking a shower I'd suggest you definitely to sleep over it ;)

Regards,
Sven