[Lazarus] Need testers for the a new debugger

Joost van der Sluis joost at cnoc.nl
Mon Jul 14 23:13:14 CEST 2014

Hi all,

As I've written before there's a new debugger available for Lazarus.
(Actually there are two new debuggers, but I'm talking about the new
gdb-less debugger)

The debugger has been improved a lot and I could need some help testing
the thing.

The debugger only works on i386 and x86_64 with Linux, Windows and OS/X.
Note that on Windows it is not possible to debug x86_64 applications
with a 32-bit Lazarus. And on OS/X you have to sign your
Lazarus-executable, and you'll have to use a dSym-debug bundle. (see the
dsymutil command)

This debugger is initially started by Marc Weustink and I used some
stuff from Duby, written by Dmitry Boyarintsev. The part to actually
parse the debug-info and to evaluate expressions is mostly written by
Martin Friebe. This code is shared with the FpGdbmiDebugger.

Please report any bugs you may find. Maybe I can not help with bugs in
the expression-evaluation part, which is Martin's code.

To install the debugger just install the
components/lazdebuggers/lazdebuggerfp.lpk package. After you've done
this, go to tools->options->debugger and select the 'FpDebug internal
Dwarf-debugger'.

You can simply use this new debugger, but keep in mind that when you
think that your application is behaving somewhat strange, it also might
be a bug in the debugger, instead of a problem with your application.

Happy debugging,

Joost van der Sluis.