[Lazarus] editortoolbar enhancements

Giuliano Colla giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it
Tue Jul 15 20:40:58 CEST 2014

Il 15/07/2014 20:16, Juha Manninen ha scritto:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 8:05 PM, Giuliano Colla
> <giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it> wrote:
>> 1) Added an option in Editortoolbar configuration, to select its position
>> (Top,Bottom,Right,Left)
> Good.
>
>> 2) Added a "Show toolbar" checkbox in Editor -> General -> Misc, and an
>> eoEditorToolBar to TSynEditorOption2.
> How do you do that from the package code? Or, did you modify the IDE's code?

I modified IDE code (editoroptions.pp and
editor_general-miscoptions.pas, assuming that the toolbar would be
provided as a default.
>> What is missing:
>>
>> 1) A better implementation of the Show Toolbar option.
>> Currently Editortoolbar uses SourceEditorManagerIntf, which doesn't expose
>> (or if it does I didn't find how) the current editor options. My quick and
>> dirty solution has been just to read the editor configuration file. As a
>> consequence, a change is only taken in charge when restarting the IDE, or
>> when starting a new project.
>> Any suggestions?
> IdeOptionsIntf has the interface for options.
> Maybe you should keep the option checkbox somewhere else. It makes
> sense in the Editor -> General -> Misc only if the package is
> installed all the time.

I'll look into it. Thanks for the hint.

>> 2) Including Editortoolbar among the default IDE packages. I've never done
>> such a thing, and I don't know how to do it in a clean way.
>> Moreover it has to be seen if:
>>
>> a) It is desirable to do it. Given that it can be switched off I would be in
>> favor.
> It is possible. Especially new users keep requesting such a feature.
> For them it should be installed by default.
> One addition please: add the "jump backward" and "jump forward"
> (Ctrl-H, Ctrl-Shift-H) buttons there by default. They are the single
> most requested operations. Once people learn to use shortcuts, they
> are not as important any more.

As we already steel some pixels from the editor window, I was thinking
to provide as a starting default a number of usual edit functions
(Undo/redo - Cut/Copy/Paste - Search/Search in Files - Jump Back/Jump
Forward). Then users may add/remove what they need.

>> b) It is desirable to keep it as a separate package from the SynEdit suite,
>> or it should become the umptieth SynSomething.
> Now you are on wrong tracks. EditorToolbar is a misleading name. It is
> more like IdeToolbarLocatedInEditor. It supports all commands,
> including for Designer and Package editor.

You're right. This should help to find a better position for the
show/hide option, and a better location for the package. I'll give a
look into it.