[Lazarus] root privileg

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 20:43:05 CEST 2014

On 04/06/2014 19:23, A. Fortuny wrote:
> Le 4/06/2014 17:01, Reinier Olislagers a écrit :
>> Why do you need root to ping? You could set up sudo to allow
> The program I intend to make will be developed as a service "pinging" on
> a regular basis remote stations just to see if they are alive. The way
> that Indy implements ICMP protocol means that "pinger" socket is
> available only under root permission. The same test programs which fails
> under normal user succeeds under root.
> This is clearly stated in Indy FAQ. Read http://www.indyproject.org/KB/
> for this subject and associated questions.
I'll take your word for it that Indy states that.

As I tried to indicate though, the time that you only had root and non
root in *nix is over.
Perhaps this
http://linux.die.net/man/7/capabilities
could help.

I haven't kept up with this (currently only involved with Linux as a
personal user), don't know if/how SELinux etc influence this