[Lazarus] IDE bug handling translations?

Giuliano Colla giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it
Wed Jun 25 11:48:48 CEST 2014

I'd hate to steal the job to an official maintainer, mainly in those
days of unemployment :-) , but the Italian translation appeared to
pochecker like a battlefield, already before running localize.sh.
Aside from previous and last discrepancies, there's also a high number
of inconsistencies, such as Tools being translated sometimes as Tools,
sometimes as Environment, just to mention the first one. They appear to
be remnants of very old Lazarus versions.
If you add that poedit denounces some 41% untranslated strings, it looks
like the matter deserves some attention.
All of that comes from just one single file: lazarusidestrconsts. I'm
afraid other files aren't in a better shape!

So, if the official maintainer is unable/unwilling to update the Italian
translations, I can take this boring job on my shoulders, at least to
provide a more complete and updated set of po files, to restart with.

As far as hard coded line endings are concerned, my opinion, FWIW, is
strongly in favor. Line endings are intended to improve readability, and
the different length of strings in different languages might require a
slightly different arrangement. If they're hidden behind a %s parameter
it becomes much harder to reposition them, with the risk of mistaking
something else with a line ending.

Just my 5 c.

Giuliano