[Lazarus] nonlcl basic issue: is codetools LCL dependent?

Giuliano Colla giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it
Sat Jun 28 12:26:43 CEST 2014

Il 28/06/2014 09:16, Hans-Peter Diettrich ha scritto:
> Giuliano Colla schrieb:
>
>>       Whenever you need a form to "stay on top" you never know if it'll
>>       work or not. For Gtk2, it did work on Lazarus 1.0.8, but it
>>       stopped working since Lazarus 1.1. This means that a user may lose
>>       an alarm which pops up, because he inadvertently touched the
>>       larger form.
>
> I just got some information about this issue, when I encounterd
> z-order problems with a Delphi XE application. Here's what Peter Below
> wrote, most LCL developers will be able to read this:

[...]
It's no wonder that changing the hierarchy something may go wrong. LCL
developers may look into that.

But what I see, as a user, is that 10 year old libraries (those of
Kylix), survive to all Linux, libc, X11, and Desktop evolutions, and
what was running under a 2.4 kernel and KDE 2, still runs (keeping the
correct Z-order, among all other things) under a 3.x kernel, KDE 4 etc.

Maybe a more conservative approach, i.e. avoiding to take advantage of
all the fancy new features of widgetsets, libraries, etc. and relying
only on basic functions, which are much less likely to change in time,
could save a lot of headaches.

Giuliano