[Lazarus] nonlcl basic issue: is codetools LCL dependent?

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 28 12:39:32 CEST 2014

Am 28.06.2014 12:27 schrieb "Giuliano Colla" <giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it>:

> Il 28/06/2014 09:16, Hans-Peter Diettrich ha scritto:
>
>> Giuliano Colla schrieb:
>>
>>>       Whenever you need a form to "stay on top" you never know if it'll
>>>       work or not. For Gtk2, it did work on Lazarus 1.0.8, but it
>>>       stopped working since Lazarus 1.1. This means that a user may lose
>>>       an alarm which pops up, because he inadvertently touched the
>>>       larger form.
>>

>> I just got some information about this issue, when I encounterd z-order
problems with a Delphi XE application. Here's what Peter Below wrote, most
LCL developers will be able to read this:

> [...]
> It's no wonder that changing the hierarchy something may go wrong. LCL
developers may look into that.

> But what I see, as a user, is that 10 year old libraries (those of
Kylix), survive to all Linux, libc, X11, and Desktop evolutions, and what
was running under a 2.4 kernel and KDE 2, still runs (keeping the correct
Z-order, among all other things) under a 3.x kernel, KDE 4 etc.

That's simple when the widgetset library itself never changes. As you said
Kylix links to libborqt, while Lazarus uses the normal Qt libraries of
which the development hasn't stopped. Same for GTK. Bugs get fixed there so
maybe workarounds used by the LCL don't work anymore. Additionally I'd say
that Lazarus has a rather large userbase compared to Kylix so that bugs are
exposed to more users. Perhaps Kylix might work for yourself without big
problems, but maybe it wouldn't work as well for other users which have
different requirements.

> Maybe a more conservative approach, i.e. avoiding to take advantage of
all the fancy new features of widgetsets, libraries, etc. and relying only
on basic functions, which are much less likely to change in time, could
save a lot of headaches.

The problem is less taking advantage of new features it's more that it's a
hassle to get a component library like the LCL to behave the same on
different widgetsets which have different paradigms.

And then there are of course users that *want* to take advantage of new
features. Preview thumbnails on Windows Vista+? Check. Retina rendering on
Mac OS X? Check. And so on. Basic functionality is often not enough when
you want an application to behave like it belongs on the system (that's why
GTK and Qt applications always give me the runs on Windows; they nearly
always don't integrate good enough).

Regards,
Sven