[Lazarus] nonlcl basic issue: is codetools LCL dependent?

Giuliano Colla giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it
Sun Jun 29 12:26:28 CEST 2014

Il 29/06/2014 09:40, Sven Barth ha scritto:
[...]
> Am 29.06.2014 01:43 schrieb "Giuliano Colla"
> <giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it <mailto:giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it>>:
> >
> >However the sources are left untouched. I believe this be a sign of
> good design, from the >Borland's good old times...
>
> As I said I don't think that's necessarily a sign of good design, but
> more a sign of the Borland Qt library not being developed any further
> (and the X11 core protocol has been stable for decades so no breakage
> expected here either). I'm sure it would be different if they had
> continued to work on Kylix till today, because then they'd tried to
> incorporate new functionality like is done with Delphi or Lazarus.

IMHO opinion good design means:
1) when you conceive something take into account from the beginning that
enhancements and new functionalities will be added in future.
2) When incorporating new functionalities avoid to break existing ones.

Related to the good old times of Borland, the evolution from Kylix 1 up
to Kylix 3 added quite a number of functionalities, but didn't affect
existing code. The same holds true for a long part of Delphi's history.
Until they lost some basic notions of good design, and began taking
shortcuts.
Speaking about X11, you may notice that a protocol conceived decades ago
is still capable to support the fancy effects of today desktops. Of
course implementation has been rewritten a remarkable number of times,
but without affecting existing applications. Again, good design.

Giuliano