[Lazarus] free Pascal versions

Paul Breneman list2010 at BrenemanLabs.com
Mon Mar 3 18:02:01 CET 2014

On 03/03/2014 07:24 AM, JIMB wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Not sure if this is the appropriate place to send this enquiry, maybe some
> one will guide me!
>

> I used Borland T Pascal for many years and later on Delphi.  Although I have
> good training in Object oriented design and implementation, I have NOT had
> many occasions where it was actually needed. Much of my stuff is just number
> crunching and some graphic output, (7 colour is fine).
>

> I am struggling to make Lazarus do the stuff I want; a great deal of the
> Lazarus power just confuses a simple process. Basically I need a replacement
> for Borland Pascal 7. I do, however, like the Lazarus IDE.
>

> Any ideas what I which way I should go, and where will I see any replies to
> this email, if there are any?
>

> Best wishes,
>
> Jim
>

> Jim Barr
>

> Best is the enemy of good enough
>

> Barrs law of recurcive futility:-
>

>    If you're smart enough to use one of these.....
>
>                .....you can probably manage without one

Hi Jim,

Since you wrote: "Basically I need a replacement for Borland Pascal 7" I
would like to share a little of what I wrote on a Free Pascal mailing
list last week (hope it helps).

*************

FPC DOS is pretty easy for a console program, but it is 32-bit (whereas
DOS is 16-bit) so it isn't as simple as Turbo Pascal.  There is a 5 MB
zip here that should make it easy to get started with FPC for DOS:
   http://www.turbocontrol.com/helloworld.htm

****************

I think my most enjoyable work ever was during the past 3.5 years, using
Turbo Pascal on expensive real-time embedded equipment.  I was able to
have (a single set of) source code that was used for about 15 versions
of about 6 different products.  One batch file called about 15 batch
files (one for each product/version) that compiled the source and
compared the resulting executables against what had been shipped. I've
done similar things before (but never had so much technical fun):
   http://brenemanlabs.com/SrcCtrl.htm

Every since C# got popular I enjoy meeting programmers who don't know
much about Delphi.  Look at the 6th message in this thread if you want
to see my normal response:
   http://www.control.com/thread/1294638212

The bottom of this page has a little of my APro history:
   http://turbocontrol.com/APro.htm
Last month Embarcadero mentioned AsyncPro on their "devices and gadgets"
XE5 seminar. I'm hoping to upgrade some of my APro examples soon.

***********

I recently turned up some interesting stuff about Turbo Pascal, so
wanted to add it here in case it might be of help.

Here I can purchase source code (for $200) to make my own Turbo Pascal
compiler for DOS (I don't plan to purchase):
http://turbo51.com/compiler-design/tpc16-turbo-pascal-compiler-written-in-turbo-pascal

The same guy has put a bit of effort into these pages:
http://turbopascal.org/
http://turbopascal.org/turbo-pascal-download - see 3 PDFs at the bottom
http://turbopascal.org/sitemap - could look up TP bugs here?

Best regards,