[Lazarus] Console app

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 09:18:28 CET 2014

On 15/03/2014 08:10, Richard Mace wrote:
> I have never written a console app and was wondering 2 things.
> Firstly, if I was to write an app that doesn't require a GUI, that runs
> on both Windows and Linux (with no XServer) is that classed as a console
> app?
Yes, it would.

> And secondly, is it fairly straight forward to write a console app that
> stores and retrieves data from a Firebird database, on the basis that I
> want to be able to use either the standard Lazarus components (or Zeos)
> to talk to the database?

Well, they're standard FPC components[1] rather than Lazarus components
then... (So follow up questions probably belong on the FPC list rather
than the Lazarus one)

See
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Database_bug_reporting#FreePascal
for a simple example, but you can work with queries etc just as you're
used to with Lazarus

[1] FPC's sqldb, which is also used by Lazarus GUI components