[Lazarus] New member with compiler query

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Sun May 4 11:24:54 CEST 2014

Gordon Cooper wrote:
> On 05/04/2014 07:32 PM, Sven Barth wrote:
>> Are you sure you mean Motorola CPUs?
>
>  I think so. If my memory is right, early Apple computers used
> the 6800 series cpu - 6809  was one of them. I maintained a batch
> of old Apple II's that were in process control where I worked.  Then
> we had a video editor with a 68000 processor (not sure which one).
>
> But if they are all too old and only the Mac Intel are to be considered,
> I will be happy.  I am having enough to think about with coming back
>  to Pascal after leaving it a couple of years after Delphi 3.

Forget the Apple II, it's not relevant. Forget the 68k-based Macs,
they're for retro buffs (yes, I've got one). If you can lay hands on a
PowerPC (PPC) Mac with OSX then it might be relevant, you might be able
to dual-boot it to Linux but don't expect mainstream distreaux to keep
up with x86 (I've had to stop at Lenny on one of mine). Otherwise I
think you need to keep your eyes open for an Intel-based Mac, I'm not
sure that you'd be able to run OSX on a standard PC even if you could
get hold of a copy.

I've not yet got FPC/Lazarus running on my OSX PPC Mac. I believe it
does, but there's quite simply limits to how many things I can do with
limited time. But in general, Lazarus on different unix platforms and in
particular on different Linux distreaux is pretty consistent: the "last
mile" is going to be compiling for OSX, and trying to conform to Apple's
design guidelines and the Apple community's expectations.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk