[Lazarus] Early daredevil alpha testers: FpGdbmiDebugger

Joost van der Sluis joost at cnoc.nl
Wed May 7 21:09:00 CEST 2014

On 05/03/2014 05:42 PM, Martin Frb wrote:
> If anyone using trunk feels a bit daredevilish, feel free to test
> FpGdbmiDebugger.
>
> Do NOT use for production. / Use at your own risk only.
>
> Important: Read  http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/FpGdbmiDebugger
>
> It explains what to expect.
> More important, also what not to expect.
> And most important what not yet to report.
>
> The page also explains how to install it.

Well, the FpGdbmiDebugger is more something for *junior* daredevils.
Real man/women install the package
components/lazfpdebuggers/lazdebuggerfp. Then they go to the
debug-options and select the
'FpDebug internal Dwarf-debugger (alfa)'

That's so alpha it doesn't even have a wiki-page. Basicly it uses the
same code to evaluate the debug-information as the FpGdbmiDebugger, but
it also uses the debug-capabilities of fpDebug. That means that it does
not use GDB at all.

It only works on win32 (and OS/X i386, but in that case you have to
code-sign your Lazarus executable).

Software exceptions are not caught (yet) and all information on the
wiki-page about fpGdbmiDebugger also applies.

Its not very useful to send bugs for features that are obviously
missing. (like support for the evaluate/modify dialog. Watches do work,
though) Bugs like 'If I have code like this: **** and the current line
is line XX and I do a 'step', then the debugger continues, instead of
stepping one line.' are really welcome. (Well, not *really* welcome,
because my code is flawless, obviously. But you get what I mean...)

Just for ppl who want to have a look...

Joost.