[Lazarus] Off topic. Version numbers

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Fri May 16 20:14:11 CEST 2014

On Fri, 16 May 2014 18:20:55 +0100
Graeme Geldenhuys <mailinglists at geldenhuys.co.uk> wrote:

> On 2014-05-16 08:40, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> >
> > <offtopic>
> > Well, in the browser business they seem to follow that idea to the other
> > extent, where it currently looks more like "hey we changed some lines of
> > code, let's release a new major version".
> > </offtopic>
>
> And yes, I find that SO annoying!  End-users now have no idea how much
> has changed between releases. Lets just hope nobody else follows the Web
> Browser versioning scheme.

Even it's only a tiny security bug fix you should use the new
browser version. Users must not wait for big new browser features.
That's different for Lazarus. IMO that's comparing apples and
oranges.
Lazarus "major" releases usually contain several thousand svn
revisions and a few incompatibilities. Some users might see no
big difference, some users have to spend a lot of time to adapt their
projects.

Mattias