[Lazarus] [IDE] Translations of licence texts which are inserted into source code

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Thu May 29 14:00:41 CEST 2014

On 29/05/2014 12:13, Vojtěch Čihák wrote:
> I only quickly Googled and found this:
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/s390/apf.html.cs
>
> (there is more result found).
>
> There is stated that translation is not official (i.e. it was not
> published by FSF).
>
> There is also stated:
>

>  Kopírování a distribuce doslovných kopií tohoto licenčního dokumentu
> jsou dovoleny komukoliv, jeho změny jsou však zakázány.
>
> ~=
>
> Copying and distribution letter-perfect copies of this document is
> allowed for everyone, any changes are restricted.
>

> I guess it will be similar with other languages.
>

> Vojtěch

>> Datum: 29.05.2014 11:55
>> Předmět: Re: [Lazarus] [IDE] Translations of licence texts which are
> inserted into source code
>>

> On 29/05/2014 07:45, Václav Valíček wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I have a question about translating licence text inserted by Source ->
>> Insert General -> *Something.
>>
>> What do you think about translating? I have found some Czech licences
>> translated, so I translated and corrected translations of the rest.
>> But if I consider the rest of the world, I cannot imagine that
>> somebody includes some opensource licence and publishes project - with
>> Czech variants of licence? Wouldn't be better to revert licence texts
>> into english?
>>
> But who translated it?
>
> Legal texts are not always simple to translate, and just translating
> them may impact their correctness?

I second Martin's concerns.

The situation as just implemented is that the regular translators are
supposed to translate GPL, LGPL, MIT licenses etc? I would advise
against that.

Apart from that, English language licenses are widely used around the
world; I suppose some obscure jurisdictions may require translations,
but then again, those should be obtained from the proper source/somebody
should make sure these are the required versions without changes.

If a dev really wants to insert his translated license, he can do so
manually (well, Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V).