[Lazarus] [IDE] Translations of licence texts which are inserted into source code

Martin Frb lazarus at mfriebe.de
Thu May 29 15:01:53 CEST 2014

On 29/05/2014 13:49, Reinier Olislagers wrote:
> On 29/05/2014 14:41, Vojtěch Čihák wrote:
>> No. Each country has its official language. Even if english is widely
>> used (especially in IT), it means nothing from the point of view of
>> jurisdiction. If you are commercial company and you want to do business
>> in any country, you should translate licences, manuals, warranties etc.
>> For example, EULA of MS Windows comes always translated.
> Random sample: Thunderbird, help/about, end user rights. English. I'm
> not in an English speaking country...
> Apart from the point you're making though, is that having translators
> translate legal agreements means that they must know what they are doing
> as well, i.e. have legal (translation) experience.
> I very much doubt that
> 1. all translators will realize this
> 2. all translaters have this
>
> Just my 2 cents.

My opinion is, that for public available license, we should only add
translations to the IDE, if they come from the official supplier of that
license, and are approved by them.

Adding a translation of any other kind and distribute it with the IDE
would IMHO be dangerous. It would encourage users to use a license text
that may not correct.

Doing so would mean that we would knowingly lead our users to use a
"license" that may not be worth the paper it is written on (or in this
case the digital media it is stored on).