[Lazarus] PoHelper: a tool to assist translators

Giuliano Colla giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it
Sun Nov 2 12:24:39 CET 2014

Thank you for the feedback.

I've put it temporarily in hold, because in the meantime I have begun
elaborating a more complete solution: a po "swiss army knife", i.e. to
put together in a single package a collection of tools for po files
handling.

It should include PoChecker, of course, then a PoHelper and also a
minimal PoEditor.

They should all share the basic environment and configuration, so that
the choices made on PoHelper would be "remembered" by PoChecker, etc.

The reason for a PoEditor is not to reinvent the wheel, but to provide
some extra facilities not available to my knowledge in current editors:

  * a "global find", to verify the consistency of translations in the
    same file or across  multiple files
  * a "global replace" to adjust the consistency, if required,
  * the capability of displaying and editing the header: currently
    available editor provide it in a limited way, and with different
    capabilities.
  * the capability to handle comments and "extracted-comments" (
    https://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_node/PO-Files.html )

Again suggestions and critics are welcome.

Giuliano

Il 25/10/2014 15:15, Péter Gábor ha scritto:
> Hi!
>
> Tips (mostly for the GUI):
>
> - Setting up an external editor would be better to define the command
> line instead of a simple FileOpen form (or combined). In my case poedit
> is on the path (so it can run without path name) and someone may need to
> pass parameters too.
> - List of files (TMemo) is not read-only
> - Too long lines are wrapped and looks confusing
> - TListBox would be better (instead of TMemo)
> - Anchors not optimized for window resizing
> - Missing (for me) descriptive hints for buttons
> - Two strings in pohelpermain are not translatable (required changes and
> the updated 'hu' translation attached):
> 	'Nothing to do',
> 	aPofile.PoName+' saved' ==convert=to=resource=as==> '%s saved'

>> Let me know if you find some bugs, or would like to add/change some
>> features.
>

> --

Giuliano Colla

Project planning question: when it's 90% done, are we halfway or not yet?