[Lazarus] UTF8 RTL for Windows

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 19:52:35 CET 2014

On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 1:56 PM, Michael Van Canneyt
<michael at freepascal.org> wrote:
> Don't worry. Computers are not scary, not really. Just look at "Terminator"
> (or any other Sci-Fi involving computers), the humans always win in the
> end... :-)

Well, the first reports of how the unicode rtl would look like were
pretty scary: Total break of the string part of millions of lines of
code that people wrote with Lazarus since years.

But now reading the latest report of how it will work out, i.e. that
Char=WideChar only in a special mode, and that you can set some
variables to get UTF-8 strings from RTL system calls, well, I haven't
actually tested it yet, but it looks like that maybe our code will not
break and maybe we won't need to review/fix hundreds of thousands of
lines of code that have worked since years....

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho