[Lazarus] OI Checkboxes

Frederic Da Vitoria davitofrg at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 14:31:21 CET 2014

> > I don't know how screen-reader-friendly is the LCL's TCheckbox, using it
> to derive TCheckBoxThemed could be a good solution or not.
>
> Frederic, you apparently don't know how LCL components work. They bind
> into native widgets. In case of Windows it means Windows GUI controls.
> It means the screen reader support and all comes as an automatic bonus.

That's how it is supposed to work. But I remember that Delphi controls were
based on Windows controls too, but they weren't recognized by at least one
screen reader. But this may be this specific screen reader's fault, which
maybe did not gather information using the Microsoft recommended method.

> You suggested that a checkbox be derived directly from standard
> Windows checkbox. Obviously it is not possible because this is a
> cross-platform system.

Yes, of course, I forgot about that :-P

> A custom drawn widget library must implement screen reader support by
> itself.
> Now Object Inspector uses LCL's TCheckbox on the selected row. I guess
> it is screen-reader friendly then.
> The new planned custom drawn control may indeed break it. The support
> must be implemented somehow but I have no idea how.

This particular situation is what I was trying to draw attention to :-)

--
Frederic Da Vitoria
(davitof)

http://www.april.org