[Lazarus] Thanks to FPC team: Record helper for primitive types!

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sat Nov 29 18:32:13 CET 2014

On Sat, 29 Nov 2014, Sven Barth wrote:

> On 29.11.2014 18:00, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>> On 2014-11-29 15:54, silvioprog wrote:
>>> It's evolution, baby! =)
>>
>> No, its like Java from years ago! ;-)
>
> Just that it's easier to extend and one can decide oneself which methods are
> available. :) (and yes, I plan to work on the "one helper per type active"
> problem)

The REALLY nice thing is that - as soon as the Lazarus IDE is extended to support this,
you can do

Var
   I : Integer;
   S : String;

begin
   S:=i.<hit ctrl-spacebar>
end;

and get a list of appropriate methods.

No more searching for IntToStr(), StrToDate, dateToStr... and so on:
the IDE will tell you what you can use.

For beginners, this really is an invaluable aid which cannot be underestimated.
Morfik Appsbuilder had this already almost 10 years ago.

For this reason, Sven, I would really enable this also by default in mode objfpc.

Michael.