[Lazarus] Redundant text on project buttons

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Wed Oct 15 03:39:55 CEST 2014

Jürgen Hestermann schrieb:

> Icons are realy useless.
> You cannot search for nor filter nor sort them.
> They eat up space and performance without benefit.
> I think that they were introduced for the illiterates who can't read.

Icons have been introduced for "visual" people, who organize their
desktop by landmarks and locations, not by searching.

When I met the first GUI on my Atari ST, I was familiar with it within a
few minutes, and knew that this is the way I want to work with computers
and programs. While I can remember patterns (arrangements, pictures,
faces...) very well, I cannot remember names (of commands, people...),
unless I use these names every day.

I admit that too many icons, with too few differences, are not really
helpful, i.e. textual menus and lists have their place in my world, too.
But the same applies to text (captions), which have to be different
enough without wasting too much space. That's why I'd prefer icons
without captions, but with hints, and kind of a (context) menu for an
*entire* toolbar that can be popped up whenever needed. In the best case
that popup should be searchable by keystrokes (incremental search), to
please me and also people why prefer to work with text.

DoDi