[Lazarus] Redundant text on project buttons

Howard Page-Clark hdpc at talktalk.net
Thu Oct 16 15:22:30 CEST 2014

On 16/10/2014 12:54, Kostas Michalopoulos wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 6:34 PM, Jürgen Hestermann
> <juergen.hestermann at gmx.de <mailto:juergen.hestermann at gmx.de>> wrote:
>
>     But IMO the majority of icons is meaningless.
>     Some even look very similar although they mean
>     complete different things.
>     Therefore I don't like them.
>

> I was talking about the general idea for icons. Lazarus' icons aren't
> the best though. The most immediate problem - IMO - is the use of color:
> which is none...

What a very constructive contribution to this discussion. Thanks.

What Lazarus has lacked (for the most part, so far) is a contributor who
has your eye for good GUI analysis, design and consistency, combined
with the graphic skills needed to implement elegant icons appropriately.
My prayer is that this conversation which included a tirade against
icons (and poor icons are indeed rather useless space-wasters) might
result in someone(s) with the necessary skills and motivation offering
improvements along the lines you suggest. Good application visual design
is part of what a RAD IDE is meant to enhance, and it would be great if
the IDE itself were an exemplary model of such excellence in GUI design
which could stand the test of time in the way that most things Mac have
justifiably become classics (without needing to slavishly follow every
passing design fad).

Howard