[Lazarus] Error messages: cannot versus can't

Giuliano Colla giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it
Fri Oct 17 14:01:46 CEST 2014

Il 17/10/2014 12:52, Reinier Olislagers ha scritto:
> On 17/10/2014 12:50, Giuliano Colla wrote:

>>> Yes, formal versus informal is part of it. Another part is
>>> comprehension, e.g.
>>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb226825%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
>>>
>>> "Avoid contractions in technical messages. They can slow down
>>> comprehension."
>>>
>> In my experience Microsoft should be taken as a guideline of what *not*
>> to do.
>> The inventors of the well known dialog: Abort, Retry, Ignore should not
>> have voice on what is user friendly and what's not.
> I disagree. The link I posted shows sensible advice.
>
> If you have better references, as I said, I'm very interested!

Once said that "can't" is less formal, and therefore preferable in a
short message window, which is more akin to spoken language than to
formal written language, I can only testify my personal experience.

In many decades of activity I've been in touch with field engineers,
sales people etc. from a lot of countries. The vast majority of them
weren't (were not;-) ) native English speakers, and some of them had a
lot of pain in writing a simple English sentence. But it never occurred
to me a single misunderstanding because of a "can't" not understood or
misinterpreted. Being "can't" very frequent in my e-mails (they usually
ask for features which either can't be done for free, or can't be done
at all), I draw from my direct experience the conclusion that "can't"
does not possibly "slow down comprehension" as Microsoft geniuses claim.

Giuliano

--
Giuliano Colla

Project planning question: when it's 90% done, are we halfway or not yet?