[Lazarus] Find dialog too tight for translations

Frederic Da Vitoria davitofrg at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 09:51:25 CET 2014

> Il 24/10/2014 17:19, waldo kitty ha scritto:
>
>> On 10/24/2014 4:39 AM, Jürgen Hestermann wrote:
>>
>>> Why is the "Direction" box placed on the right of all other options?
>>> IMO it is just another option as all the others so it should be put below
>>> these other options. This would also avoid the problem of moving
>>> this box when text becomes long.
>>>

>> this is similar to my suggestion posted previously ;)
>>

> Taking into account all suggestions, I came out with two possible layouts:
>
> Option 1 = Buttons at the bottom of the form (like in my previous version)
>
> Option 2 = Buttons at the right of the form (like in the original version)
>
> (there's also a help button, which is not visible by default, but it may
> become visible, if the appropriate option is selected. It would go either
> at the extreme right, or at the bottom, moving nearby button right or up
> because of anchoring):
>
> http://www.bononiadocta.it/Lazarus/Dialogues/Dialogues.png
>
> I've put in the image also a localized version, to see what it looks like
> when strings become much longer.
> I'd choose option 2 because bottom line risks to become crowded if the
> help button is added, but I'd like to hear other opinions.
>
> Giuliano

I believe there is another difference in your layouts: the width of the
input fields is different, so that the screen copies are misleading, if the
input zones had the same width, the version with buttons at the right would
be always wider than the version with buttons at the bottom. I prefer
putting the buttons at the bottom because of this: it either allows to have
a window less wide (I prefer to have this dialog high than wide because I
feel it has less chances of getting in the way) or it allows to make the
input zone wider, which is nice when inputting large search strings. I
don't have Lazarus here now, so that I can't check: are these dialogues
real dialogues (non-resizable) or can they be resized?

--
Frederic Da Vitoria
(davitof)

http://www.april.org