[Lazarus] [FEATURE REQUEST] Tip of the day

Dmitry Boyarintsev skalogryz.lists at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 22:06:53 CEST 2014

The problem with "tip of the day", is that it must be maintained according
to the IDE updates.
"Tip of the day" would be useless (and harmful), if it suggests a feature
that's no longer in the IDE.

Another complication of the "TOTD" is that it needs to be translated.
Otherwise it's also useless, if the IDE runs in a language different that
IDE.

"TOTD" must also be "environment" aware. Just as on your example - there're
hot-keys present. But a user could modify the hot-keys for themselves. As
well as "default" hot key layout is different from OS to OS.  So the
implementation is not as trivial as "just read the list of html pages and
tips foldere and present them to a user on start".

To summarize: adding "TOTD" to Lazarus will increase the maintenance cost
of the system!

Instead of having TOTD - wiki pages should be popularized.
Reason - much greater number of people could contribute to it. Removing a
need of developers (or release builders) to maintain the set of "tips" in
IDE.
Also articles and personal blogs do typically cover a lot of "tips" that
could be found in TOTD.

thanks,
Dmitry