[Lazarus] *ADSL* Modem config

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Mon Apr 20 11:18:29 CEST 2015

Lukasz Sokol wrote:
> On 20/04/15 08:37, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 20 Apr 2015, aradeonas wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Michael. So there is not an API for these modems?
>> Not that I know of. I suspect each manufacturer uses his own way.
>>

> Unfortunately that is true - even if they had a CLI over telnet or ssh, everyone
> uses their own command set (if they're not menu driven, duh)
>
> Recently, there was movement in the Powers that Be,
> for this sort of devices to support TR-069...
>
> but looking at it you can /exactly/ see who is it aimed for...
> (not the end-user, that's for sure)

A number of these things use common firmware, so superficially they
might appear to present either a common GUI or a similar command set-
possibly with numbered (sub)items- via telnet. This is likely to be
deceptive, and you will get burnt if you rely on it.

The only thing that you will find that is remotely standardised is SNMP,
and this might or might not provide access to the settings you want.

In any event, if you get the settings wrong you might leave yourself or
your customers open to security violations.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk