[Lazarus] learning advice for FPC/Lazarus noob

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 11:21:47 CEST 2015

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 12:58 AM, Gour <gour at atmarama.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> after (too) much time exploring/evaluating different languages, I’ve
> finally decided to use use FPC/Lazarus to write open-source
> multi-platform desktop GUI app…
>
> It would be kind of semi-hobby project and the reason why I took so long
> to decide about Pascal is that I was using it long ago (>20yrs) while
> studying software engineering on the University (we had to write some
> compiler using TP, so I thought that some better language did
> evolve. :-)
>
> Of course, there are some interesting *languages*, but I simply do not
> buy what web+JS is the only way to go to write app these days, and
> that’s where FPC/Lazarus are shining very brightly!!
>
> However, in the meantime, programming did not become my bread’n’butter,
> so although programming is not strange/new thing to me, I need some
> refreshment and looking for adequate literature/docs to equip myself to
> use FPC/Lazarus for my GUI project…
>
> I there is a ’bundle’
>
> http://www.blaisepascal.eu/index.php?actie=./subscribers/lazarusbookinfoEnglish
> offering to buy Lazarus Complete Guide and get Learn to Program Using
> Lazarus as downloadable PDF, so I wonder if it is good-enough for
> learning FPC and start with Lazarus?
>
> I’m aware there are lot of online docs available, but I am simply
> accustomed to use/hold concrete books (if possible) and reduce my time
> of starring at computer screens to save my eyes a bit.
>
> Another option which I’ve found is: “Getting Started with Lazarus and
> Free Pascal: A beginners and intermediate guide to Free Pascal using
> Lazarus IDE” (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1507632525/ref=rdr_ext_tmb) but
> it seems it’s more into web development than writign desktop GUI apps?
>
> Besides that, one Delphi/Lazarus user suggested to get some of the
> “Marco Cantu's mastering.. series of older versions”, but not having
> *any* experience with neither Delphi nor FPC/Lazarus, I’m looking for
> some helpful hints which path to go?
>

> Sincerely,
> Gour
>
> p.s. I sent the same message from Gmane-subscribed group, but never
> received its authorization message and it seems that the message went to
> /dev/null, so, please, if anyone can check whether the information at
> http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.ide.lazarus.general is correct since the
> “requires subscription to mailing list to post” status usually means it
> should be possible to post for subscribed users, while my experience is
> more like “posting isn't allowed”?
>
> --
> As the ignorant perform their duties with attachment to results,
> the learned may similarly act, but without attachment, for the
> sake of leading people on the right path.
>

> --

First , forget "Delphi" , and start directly from Free Pascal and Lazarus .
"Delphi" programs are NOT multi-platform but only for Windows .
If you want to write multi-platform Pascal programs , instead of wasting
time on "Delphi" programs , use your time for directly on Free Pascal and
Lazarus programs .

You may compile the same program on all supported platforms listed in Free
Pascal and Lazarus package lists for installation .

If you use a NFS server , then from the same server , you can compile the
same programs in different platform clients , ( even from Windows , if you
use a Samba server in your NFS server exporting the same source directories
) ( you may even use cross compilation )  .

This means that , if you use Free Pascal and Lazarus your choices are as
you want .

The Free Pascal and Lazarus documentations are excellent , but I suggest to
obtain the above two books also .

I have Lazarus book , but not other book .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk