[Lazarus] authoring user manuals

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Mon Aug 3 22:09:09 CEST 2015

Gour wrote:

>> In my eyes DocView is also a superior help viewer compared to any CHM or> HLP help viewer I have seen, with built in support for Contents, Index> (auto-generated in none exists), full-text search with advanced> filtering, search highlighting, in-line annotation support, custom font> configuration and is lightning fast etc.

> I like what I’ve seen in DocView…now have to find out if using FPC/INFmeans I have to forger about Emacs which I use a lot…

Focussing on help files, in the past I've experimentally generated text
for these as an appendix in a PDF file using Lyx etc., then
post-processed it into a .chm. This has the obvious advantage that
printed and online documentation remains in step, however I'm not sure
how practical this would be if a substantial amount of
internationalisation were required.

Speaking as somebody who is neither a core developer nor a list manager,
  this is the Lazarus mailing list and the principal format used by
Lazarus is .chm. It's all very well for an advocate of an alternative
documentation format and an alternative UI toolkit to be enthusiastic
about them, but I'm not sure that they're something which should be
promoted too vocally to somebody who hasn't been active in the field for
an extended period.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk